Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Analyzing Instructional Units in light of HPL and UbD

I'm not sure if we were supposed to blog about this handout before or after the next class, but in case it was before... As a high school English teacher I generally design curriculum around books to be taught. The example I brought for use in class is part of a unit on Huck Finn. The goal for our department is to use the given book as a vehicle to touch on all five strands - reading, writing, speaking, listening and viewing - of the CCCS. So for example I would plan a series of activities using Huck Finn to do that. As regards Question Two, I feel I am fairly learner-centered. I often tailor lessons and methods to specific classes or individuals. I also do a lot of writing ion class which provides abundant opportunities for differentiation. Regarding Question Three, I am not at all coverage-oriented. I don't even do the same material in the same class from year to year, and I often change assessments to reflect that particular class's response to a piece of literature. (Guess that means I'm not using backward design that well, eh?) I am not as certain about whether or not I am activity-oriented. I would assume no teacher designs an activity to intentionally be hands on/minds off, so obviously if I am doing this I don't know. Again, I need to know more/think more about this one. Regarding Question Four, I think I do generally start with the desired result in mind, but may be not as thorough on the other two steps as I might be. I doubt, if I really closely examined the evidence, that all the learning experiences I plan would have a clear and direct relationship to the desired results. Some might exist in isolation. I also think there can be multiple desired results (and this will likely be one of my problems adapting to backward design). Example: I teach AP juniors. One year I might have a class that's really into linguistic issues. They may care about language and dialect and how Huck Finn sounds. Other classes may focus on thematic issues. The classes looking at theme may still sort of subdivide. One group may latch on to gender issues and see Huck as a sexist book. Others may want to spend a lot of time looking at race questions it raises. I might adjust my teaching and my assessment to accommodate any of these, not latch on to a plan and say "we have to get here."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.