Sunday, October 7, 2007

"I can not teach anybody anything. I can only make them think." Socrates

I found the references to Carl Rogers in Mullan fascinating. I was not familiar with him prior to reading this, but he gives voice to something very close to my own teaching philosophy. The quote at the top of my "teacher website" is from Socrates and says "I can not teach anybody anything. I can only make them think." And here is Rogers saying that "anything that can be taught to another is relatively inconsequential" (37). He believes the only learning is self-discovered learning, and says he would do away with grades and credits. Anyone who has ever been a student knows instinctively that on some level this is true. We learn what we are taught in the elementary and secondary grades not because we find it important to us but because there is pressure on us (teachers, parents, grades, rank, getting into college, etc.) to do so. Our undergraduate work may be different, and certainly our graduate work is, as we move closer to the type of learning Rogers talks about. Funny, when one steps back to look at it, how locked in we are - algebra for 9th graders, chemistry for 11th, Huck Finn in 10th, and so on. But why? Because that's how it's done everywhere else? Ideally, I suppose, one would allow a child to pursue academic learning based on interest, but of course public schools as they are presently constitituted are much about so much order and socialization, that it's almost as though the academic curriculum is something to keep them busy while they do all that other stuff. Maybe home schoolers are on to something.

4 comments:

Noreen Lazariuk said...

I was drawn to Rogers also. It is ironic that when we tailor everything to the masses we end up loosing so many students. As a teacher I realize that it is not practical to eliminate grading but as a parent I will do my part eliminate any pressure from my end. I also hope to instill a love of learning in my daughter. I have always been anti home schooling because I felt it was limiting socially. I have a new perspective on the idea since reading this chapter.

AU said...

I zeroed in on that comment too. I think many of us did. Accepting the truth of Rogers' statement without feeling like I'm ramming my head into a wall, is the trick, I suppose. :)

PuppyPetPeeve said...

I found your comment on public school being all about socialization intersting - I was kind of thinking the opposite. There is so much to cover academicly, where is the time to address a true social curriculum rather than just leaving it up to the students.
I think home schooling opens the door to a lot of advantages when it comes to curriculum designed for the learner, but on the other hand I do think they are probably loosing out big time in the socialization arena.

Unknown said...

I also highlighted the section about Rogers concerning the elimination of grades, degrees, etc. It is a nice thought, but it could never happen in today's society. Parents want to know how their children rank in comparison to others. It's all about being a step ahead. Years ago, when I taught kindergarten, I would often get the question, "Just where does my child rank in the class?" Parents seemed more concerned with the ranking than hearing how they could help their child with learning. Some of my stronger students had reading tutors so they could surpass their peers in first grade and move to the "top" reading group. Unfortunately, it is all about the "grade" or "score" even as early as kindergarten.