Friday, September 14, 2007

Public Ed. Primer

I actually expected more surprises than I found in A Public Education Primer, especially after the introduction implied that it contained facts of which many would be "unaware." I did find it interesting to note that the U.S. stood out from most G-8 nations in not having a national curriculum or exam. I wonder how inability to master the national curriculum is handled in the many countries that do have one. Are students retained, do they drop out? etc. Colleagues of mine like to joke (only half kiddingly) that with most of our tests you HAVE to pass... unless you don't. The joke emphasizes their frustration about the fact that we give lip service to standards but don't hold anyone to them. The SRA option for those who cannot pass the "must-pass" HSPA is an example. Another fact that caught my attention, although I had heard it before, is the staggering number of people who leave the teaching profession - nearly 50% - before the completion of their first five years. I would have to see this number in comparison to other professions for it to have meaning, but I can't imagine it could be that high in most. I also think it would be intteresting to know if this number is comparable in nations that value education more than we do.

No comments: